American Royalty by Sam Spratt
[Available Today: September 25th]
American Royalty is a collection of limited-edition illustration prints inspired by the music of Childish Gambino. The series was commissioned by Childish Gambino and created by acclaimed illustrator Sam Spratt.
New York, NY: “American Royalty” is a series of illustrations created exclusively for Childish Gambino by New York City-based artist Sam Spratt. Much like the music on Gambino’s latest mixtape, “Royalty,” the modern scenes of Americana depicted in the pieces address themes of struggle, family, intimacy, simple pleasures and other experiences that are relevant to rap culture, but are often not explored.
“The pieces are littered with tiny nods, details, and Easter eggs that Childish fans will appreciate, but really these are the stories of many people—not just one. The chance to paint vignettes based on Donald’s music, and the genres it’s born from, wasn’t something I would ever pass up.” –Sam Spratt, Artist
“Sam’s an amazing artist. I’ve been following his work online for a long time. He has a great aesthetic that reminds me of Norman Rockwell, a man who I think is one of the greatest and most underrated artists in American history. Donald and I reached out to him about creating a series of images to go along with the music for the mixtape ‘Royalty’. Most of the illustrations for the project were based on pictures we took of family and friends in March, while we were in Atlanta waiting for Donald’s broken foot to heal so we could start his tour.” –Ibra Ake, Art Director
About the Artwork:
- Only 28 copies of each print will be available for sale.
- Each illustration is printed on thick matte paper with a light-fastness rating of over 100 years.
- Each print will be individually signed and numbered by the artist, Sam Spratt.
- The individual will be delivered to collectors in flat, rigid containers, to avoid damage and curling caused by tubed shipping.
- Price: $80 each excluding shipping and tax and are available at http://royalty.samspratt.com/